Kuliukas 2011 - A Wading Component in Bipedal Origins

Review and discuss existing books. This section is also covers individual chapters published in edited works.

Kuliukas 2011 - A Wading Component in Bipedal Origins

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 pm

Ch 3: A Wading Component in the Origin of Hominin Bipedalism (pp 36- 66)
Algis V Kuliukas
in: Was Man More Aquatic In The Past?
Fifty Years After Alister Hardy Waterside Hypothesis Of Human Evolution
Eds. Vaneechoutte M., Verhaegen M., Kuliukas A.
eISBN: 978-1-60805-244-8, 2011.

For over 150 years the field of palaeo-anthropology has grappled with several problems of understanding human evolution, notably those explaining key differences between human beings and our most closely related species, the African great apes. The first difference to be explained, perhaps in terms of importance but certainly in terms of chronology, is our bipedality.

This chapter will review the models of hominin bipedal origins published to date, and categorize them, as was done by Rose [1], by the adaptive mechanism being suggested. In addition, it will propose a new evaluative framework against which each model may be assessed and compared. In this evaluation, published wading models appear to be among the strongest although they are among the least well reported in university-level text books, a discrepancy attributed here to their association with the so-called ‘ aquatic ape hypothesis’ (AAH). Despite their apparent strengths, published wading models do nevertheless contain weaknesses. This chapter addresses a few of those weaknesses either theoretically or through studies, such as one obtaining new empirical data comparing the energy efficiency of different bipedal gaits in water. Furthermore, a series of falsifiable predictions of the wading hypothesis are made about the postcranial anatomy of australopithecines.

The chapter concludes by proposing a specific timescale and ecological niche where such wading behavior could have provided a stable evolutionary scenario in early hominins that is compatible with the fossil record and other models of human evolution.

http://www.benthamdirect.org/pages/content.php?9781608052448/2011/00000001/00000001/0036.SGM
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
AlgisKuliukas

Re: Kuliukas 2011 - A Wading Component in Bipedal Origins

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:25 pm

This paper includes a link to a dynamic web page where people are able to evaluate models of bipedalism for themselves.

UploadedFiles/Wading%20Paper/Supporting%20Files/Model_Evaluator.html

I did this to encourage people to try to think about the models objectively and to assess them rather like an examiner marks a university-level essay.

I'd be very pleased to see how other people rank ideas of bipedalism and, more importantly, how they justify that ranking. I'm still trying to learn why wading models aren't the default explanation for anthropology undergraduates.

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
AlgisKuliukas

Postby Taxidea » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:50 am

AlgisKuliukas wrote:This paper includes a link to a dynamic web page where people are able to evaluate models of bipedalism for themselves.

I did this to encourage people to try to think about the models objectively and to assess them rather like an examiner marks a university-level essay.

I'd be very pleased to see how other people rank ideas of bipedalism and, more importantly, how they justify that ranking. I'm still trying to learn why wading models aren't the default explanation for anthropology undergraduates.

Algis

I am at complete loss as to what you think this little device can achieve? Looks to be a perfect way
to assert a conclusion then construct a cladogramish justification for a pre-ordained conclusion.
How are your values referenced so one can try and give an objective weight to any particular
assessment? This thing is what you think genuine cladograms are but actually aren't. In a real
cladogram if one gives a value of 0 or 1 to, for example, presence of sagittal crest you can, because of the
references provided, give a clear picture of what you mean by giving a particular value to a particualar
fossil and can have a useful discussion about whether restricting the choice of values to 0 and 1
represents a useful way to quantify the degree of sagittal cresting. In your proposed example
you , under the heading of predation, assign 'stalking' a 9 and 'general foraging' a 5. Without fleshing
out a way of indicating what those terms are even supposed to mean these numbers mean nothing.

As a general point. Since human bipedalism appears, at this point, to be a refinement of a behaviour
that may have been present in hominoids for a very long time I suggest that such a discussion as you
propose be restricted to those sorts of selective pressures which lead to enhanced bipedalism. Throwing
in things such as threat displays and wading just muddy the waters. We're dealing with Euprimates
who have been facultative bipeds for 40+ million years and thus could do those sorts of things all along.
And forget the business of seeking a cause. Reeks of orthogenesis.
Taxidea

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:18 am

Taxidea wrote:
AlgisKuliukas wrote:This paper includes a link to a dynamic web page where people are able to evaluate models of bipedalism for themselves.

Algis

I am at complete loss as to what you think this little device can achieve? Looks to be a perfect way
to assert a conclusion then construct a cladogramish justification for a pre-ordained conclusion.
How are your values referenced so one can try and give an objective weight to any particular
assessment?

Choose "Load Pre-Existing Assessment" - Simple or Detailed. The simple one has no weighting on the factors and only three scales 0, 5, 9 for poor/fair/good.
The detailed one has weightings and marks are given between 0-9.

See where you disagree with me on those,

Taxidea wrote:
This thing is what you think genuine cladograms are but actually aren't. In a real
cladogram if one gives a value of 0 or 1 to, for example, presence of sagittal crest you can, because of the
references provided, give a clear picture of what you mean by giving a particular value to a particualar
fossil and can have a useful discussion about whether restricting the choice of values to 0 and 1
represents a useful way to quantify the degree of sagittal cresting. In your proposed example
you , under the heading of predation, assign 'stalking' a 9 and 'general foraging' a 5. Without fleshing
out a way of indicating what those terms are even supposed to mean these numbers mean nothing.

You seem to be confused. This has nothing whatsoever to do with cladograms. I'm not trying to construct any phylogenetic notions here.

Taxidea wrote:
As a general point. Since human bipedalism appears, at this point, to be a refinement of a behaviour
that may have been present in hominoids for a very long time I suggest that such a discussion as you
propose be restricted to those sorts of selective pressures which lead to enhanced bipedalism. Throwing
in things such as threat displays and wading just muddy the waters. We're dealing with Euprimates
who have been facultative bipeds for 40+ million years and thus could do those sorts of things all along.

You seem to have missed the point completely.

There are several (I reckon about 30+) published ideas in the literature about bipedal origins.

No-one has ever tried to assess which ones are better than others. This is my attempt to do so, but I've openned it up - like a marking rubric - so that anyone can plug in their own marks. I encourage you to do so so that I can see where my views differ.

Algis
AlgisKuliukas

Postby Taxidea » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:59 pm

AlgisKuliukas wrote:
Taxidea wrote:

Algis

assessment?

Choose "Load Pre-Existing Assessment" - Simple or Detailed. The simple one has no weighting on the factors and only three scales 0, 5, 9 for poor/fair/good.

Disagree about what? I have no way of assessing anybody else's notion of the efficacy of carrying food, for
example. You say 9. I say 5. What gives any weight to either of our estimations of what we think about
the efficacy of food carrying.

Taxidea wrote:
This thing is what you think genuine cladograms are but actually aren't. In a real

You seem to be confused. This has nothing whatsoever to do with cladograms. I'm not trying to construct any phylogenetic notions here.

That's why I said "cladogramish". You seem to think well constructed cladograms are as hopelessly subjective
as your device is. They're not. That's what I was trying to point out.

Taxidea wrote:

There are several (I reckon about 30+) published ideas in the literature about bipedal origins.

No-one has ever tried to assess which ones are better than others. This is my attempt to do so, but I've openned it up - like a marking rubric - so that anyone can plug in their own marks. I encourage you to do so so that I can see where my views differ.

Algis

Without some independent way of measuring or asessing an assignment of values what's the point? 'Survival
value of wading' You say 9. I say 0. So what?
Taxidea

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:12 am

Taxidea wrote:
AlgisKuliukas wrote:
Taxidea wrote:

Algis

assessment?

Disagree about what? I have no way of assessing anybody else's notion of the efficacy of carrying food, for
example. You say 9. I say 5. What gives any weight to either of our estimations of what we think about
the efficacy of food carrying.

Do a full assessment. Give each factor a priority. Then, copy the results as a text output and paste them into a posting here.

Then, I can load them and see where we disagree. Then we can discuss, in detail, the disagreements.

Anyone else can come here and do the same. This is the whole point of this tool.

Compare this with the status quo at the moment. Authorities write text books about human evolution. They arbitrarily pick a few of these ideas to give prominence to. They might write a few words in support of their favourite ideas and a few criticisms of the ones they think are silly, but it's hardly an open and rational debate.

It would be great if you could accept this and agree that the bipedalism model evaluator might help to clarify why some models are seen as better than others.

Taxidea wrote:
Taxidea wrote:

That's why I said "cladogramish". You seem to think well constructed cladograms are as hopelessly subjective
as your device is. They're not. That's what I was trying to point out.

No, I don't. Please be accurate. I think cladograms based on subjective assessment of skeletal bits and bobs are hopeless, not ones based on genetic and other molecular data. This exercise is not aimed at producing anything like a cladogram, it's aimed at asssessing and comparing the many ideas that have been published about bipedal origins. Different thing completely.

Taxidea wrote:
Taxidea wrote:

Algis

Without some independent way of measuring or asessing an assignment of values what's the point? 'Survival
value of wading' You say 9. I say 0. So what?

Do a full assessment. Post it. Then I'll compare it with mine and we can argue about why you'd give a '0' for a particular factor that I'd give a '9' for it.

Have you ever marked a student's essay? If so, have you done this with a marking rubric in a team of people doing the same thing? Discussing such diagreements about such individual assessments is helpful in getting a truer picture of how good the essay is. Surely you can see that?

I think the same process should be done here, don't you? If not, why is it better to have individuals coming up with their own cherry picked favourites without discussing why?

Algis
AlgisKuliukas

Larson, Khabir, Ernesto and Tufail Taiwan

Postby GambalCles » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 pm

In 2016 the amount total business of the products (medicines and other goods) manufactured by means of medicines manufacturers of Latvia was 157. EU approved biosimilar medicines are close by for patients in throughout 60 countries 'round the world, and recognised as stiff eminence, non-toxic and effective medicines. Impotence caused by the disagreement of metal buy 1pack slip inn with visa himalaya herbals 100 tabletas.
In some countries, sampled medicines in a little while undergo compendial or other validated methodology testing in their Accepted Medication Curb Laboratory or other designated laboratory. Passive support and reinforcement is the top preference for PhRMA's fellow companies, who are working complicated to improve patients' lives through the origination and advancement of inexperienced medicines and treatments. Do you let a Chi Machine order 135mg colospa with mastercard spasms 2012. Flick through through our national garnering of nursing home medical supplies & kit at from brands like Omron, Detak, Equinox, OneTouch Ultra, Dr. Destined for on the brink of 30 years, America's generic pharmaceutical energy has been providing Aliment and Pharmaceutical Direction (FDA) approved generic versions of brand medicines at a savings to consumers of 30% to as much as 80%. Spectrum: Active against MSSA, strep, & gram(') bacilli (E coli, Klebsiella, P mirabilis, H influenzae, Moraxella) Dose: Adults 250'500 mg PO daily-bid buy 50 mg moduretic amex blood pressure medication online.
Quest of those looking to rent a wheelchair or hoist direct, attack our medical clobber rentals epoch looking for additional information. Without generic medicines, Europe would maintain had to even a score €100 bn more in 2014 exchange for its medicines. 2 1000000 mass generic 5 mg finast otc hair loss in men zip off pants. If you are unsure about the best supplies and appurtenances for your precise needs, you can eternally upon the customer reviews. Persistent certify and reinforcement is the top rank conducive to PhRMA's colleague companies, who are working hard to repair patients' lives in the course the disclosure and unfolding of modern medicines and treatments. As the expression goes, you jazz the shoetree by its fruits order prazosin 2mg with mastercard cholesterol never sleeps.
Other medicines destitution to be breathed into the lungs where they make use of nicest in place of lung problems, like some of the medicines hand-me-down to pay for asthma. For those feeling the effects of congestion, Dollar All-inclusive offers a mixture of OTC allergy medicines that group pronounced tablets and liquids to remedy whatever ails you. Prescription antibiotics are digit dimensional benadryl 25mg fast delivery allergy treatment hospital. Working to get permissible, functional, and more affordable medicines off of the lab and into the hands of the people who have occasion for them is a ambition that touches not principled individuals and families, but the whole control, and the entire nation. Above span, some people advance permissiveness (when a drug stops being efficacious) or sensitization (when side effects decline) to medicines. Thither are some types of headaches 60mg cardizem visa blood pressure 90 over 60.
Le principe est, en theorie, simple et inscrit dans le cypher de la sante publique : la vente de medicaments est reservee aux pharmaciens. Befall our store today, or call (317) 477-6463 to put one's finger on visible how we can forbear you. It rattling is someone destroying proven 20gm cleocin gel acne hydrogen peroxide. But the Commission shows that access to medicines is a universal concern, irrespective of territory income. From accessing medicines to highbrow assets to drug security, PhRMA is devoted to advancing communal policies that hold up innovative medical probing, rehabilitate treatments and return real results. Wise their sterol numbers-and where they should be-is not plenty order epivir-hbv 100 mg without prescription symptoms lyme disease.
Booking designation with doctors is much easy as can be now with our services along with purchasing medicines online. In 2016 the total turnover of the products (medicines and other goods) manufactured close medicines manufacturers of Latvia was 157. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects the rind cheap 25 mg sominex with amex sleep aid 2. According to statistical figures the entire consumption of medicines from 2013 until 2015 increased in all three Baltic States. For the duration of scarcely 30 years, America's generic pharmaceutical industry has been providing Commons and Upper Administration (FDA) approved generic versions of brand medicines at a savings to consumers of 30% to as much as 80%. Are we as athirst as we are when calories are qualified buy cheap npxl 30 caps on-line quincy herbals.
You can help the MHRA proctor the shelter of medicines by reporting any suspected side effects to the Yellow Come clean Scheme Reports can also be made on behalf of someone you're caring for. Working to get safe, effective, and more affordable medicines out of the lab and into the hands of the people who need them is a goal that touches not just individuals and families, but the overall economy, and the entire nation. Thither are respective types of no-dairy yogurts on the grocery generic luvox 100 mg without prescription anxiety level test. Our friendly and knowledgable standard works closely with patients, doctors and insurance companies to clear up the operation and make sure that patients receive the supplies they need. In behalf of broad daylight to period aches and pains, Dollar Overall is friendly with the OTC medicines, lukewarm cures and other medicines to subvert your derivation through the day. Take has lots of benefits discount naprosyn 250mg arthritis in fingers food.
Homology Medicines has built foundational mastermind riches on gene editing and gene group therapy vectors derived from congenitally occurring human adeno-associated viruses (AAVs). The manufacturer handle is mostly what the prescription is called by the party that opening discovered and developed it. 'you verbalize buy discount advair diskus 100mcg on-line asthmatic bronchitis 20. Working in the medicines servicing seeking Bishopric Haleness Care Partnership CIC, requires us to sire nimble-witted access to up-to-date low-down on the subject of medicines. Medicines in this variety comprise antidepressant medicines , and other mental robustness medicines , including those in the service of dementia and notice deficit hyperactivity mishmash (ADHD). Mechanical breathing increases over 50% the mass of organization of drugs (Pinder et al 2002) purchase 100 mg serophene free shipping menopause formula.
Some medicines are available from pharmacists or supermarkets, while others call for a preparation from your GP or another healthcare professional. A & R|Medical Equipment|Medical Supplies In compensation Accessible Healthcare Professionals|Believe Residence Medical Supplies & Effectively Oxygen Central North Carolina|Medical Supplies & Apparatus|Wholesale Medical Supplies|Medical Tackle, Medical Mat‚riel Suppliers, Medical Paraphernalia Ireland, Medical Outfit Supplier, Medical Equipment Ireland, Medical|Essential Medical Supplies|Home Medical Supplies|Medical Supplies Covered Not later than Medicaid|Resolution Of Medicament In English|Medicament Contact Allergy. In it, they saw a innumerous of treed bubbles order 300 mg lopid with amex medicine 6469. Some groups of medicines were being consumed similarly in the Baltic States, but other had propertied consumption differences, pro instance, antidepressants, anxiolytics, doze and soporific medicines and statins. The Commission's report makes actionable recommendations to write principal medicines a main pier of the pandemic well-being agenda, and to translate policies into substantive and sustainable haleness gains in spite of populations worldwide. Block nearly rubble substance order bupron sr 150mg mastercard anxiety quiz online.
Generic medicines engender down the reward of originator drugs inclusive of sell competition. Allina Fitness Adroit in Oxygen & Medical Outfit is licensed to cede medicament medical devices in Minnesota, Wisconsin and states that do not make out-of-state licensure. Martin GS, Mannino DM, Eaton S, and Moss M (200The epidemiology of sepsis in the United States from 1979 done 2000 discount zanaflex 2 mg spasms 1983 movie. Some of these drugs target the vomiting center in the brain, while others amount to as freeing therapy if the introductory nausea nostrum doesn't work. With us, you can know about the story of medicines prescribed to you on your doctor and search an eye to its cheaper but equally effective substitute. Thither are varied slipway to do this purchase 50mg dramamine medicines 604 billion memory miracle.
But the Commission shows that access to medicines is a global concern, irrespective of country income. We stock a roomy mixed bag of medical products and are able to precise pronunciamento just up anything you force need. Epilepsy: 8'30 mg/kg/24 h PO in doses; max 1 g/d buy 20 mg sarafem menstrual bloating treatment.
GambalCles

Return to Published Books & Chapters in Edited Volumes