Ever organised a party?

Introduce yourself to everyone. Remain anonymous if you insist but why not be a little more open and tell us who you really are?

Ever organised a party?

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Have you ever had that experience where you've thrown a party, and then you've had that panic moment (or hour) where you feared no-one would turn up?

Imagine, then, setting up a whole house - mansion even - for what you hoped would be scores of people, carefully planning each of several rooms to make it as interesting as you can for those 'guests' you imagined might turn up.... and then no-one comes. Or at least, the few that do turn up briefly make polite comments and then leave early.

Ok, it's not a party. It's not a mansion, not even a house. But it's the same feeling I have right now, nevertheless. I set up this forum on the back of the eBook that we just published. I was really positive about it. See, I kind of imagined that the authors of the book, at least, might want to discuss their work with their fellow authors. I fantasised that others might want to do so too. I had this weird idea that people would want to do so in an environment where anonymous cowardly nobodies would not be allowed to come and throw insults at them, or where one view dominated. How naive was that?

Algis Kuliukas
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
AlgisKuliukas

Re: Ever organised a party?

Postby CEngelbrecht » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:37 am

I think this place got off to a bad start (kinda like Alister Hardy's original presentation, I suppose). Partly, I think it was my fault as that short time moderator, where I probably over-moderated. That may have deterred somebody (other than the trolls that think it's fun to hack on perceived easy targets). But also, generally I think that the trolls have already made their presence known here, and I imagine most enclined to have a serious debate about these topics (whether for or against) are just sick and tired of them (I know I am). That may deter people as well.

I would love to see mr. Verhaegen in here, I have yet to have any personal discourse with him.
CEngelbrecht

Re: Ever organised a party?

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:20 pm

CEngelbrecht wrote:I think this place got off to a bad start (kinda like Alister Hardy's original presentation, I suppose). Partly, I think it was my fault as that short time moderator, where I probably over-moderated. That may have deterred somebody (other than the trolls that think it's fun to hack on perceived easy targets). But also, generally I think that the trolls have already made their presence known here, and I imagine most enclined to have a serious debate about these topics (whether for or against) are just sick and tired of them (I know I am). That may deter people as well.

I would love to see mr. Verhaegen in here, I have yet to have any personal discourse with him.

Never mind, Chris. I think I put Rob off too by over-reacting. I'm just disappointed that so few of the authors of the eBook have found half an hour spare in the last few months to discuss their work. If some of them had, maybe it would have attracted some of the general public.

I'll keep it going anyway. You never know. All it would take is for a one or two curious people to find the site and make a contribution and it could all kick off again.

All the best

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
AlgisKuliukas

Return to Greetings