Elaine Morgan on TED

Use this section to review web sites, film documentaries, radio programs, podcasts etc.

Elaine Morgan on TED

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPoM7lGYHw

Not bad for a 90 year old housewife!
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
AlgisKuliukas

Re: Elaine Morgan on TED

Postby NotAlgis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 am

AlgisKuliukas wrote:Not bad for a 90 year old housewife!

I strongly disagree - it took me ages to knock one out to that.
NotAlgis

Postby Not RP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm

AlgisKuliukas wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPoM7lGYHw

I couldn't agree more, Algis. All this from an elderly lady with no qualifications! Elaine's ideas are truly remarkable! I'm relying on you to keep to your promise to post the latest developments in evolutionary theory and research so we can put the AAT in the place it so richly deserves.
Not RP

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Recursive Prophet wrote:

I couldn't agree more, Algis. All this from an elderly lady with no qualifications! Elaine's ideas are truly remarkable! I'm relying on you to keep to your promise to post the latest developments in evolutionary theory and research so we can put the AAT in the place it so richly deserves.

Well she wasn't that elderly when she got into it and she's very well qualified. Far better qualified than a certain "guy" we know.

Welcome to the forum RP. Good to see so many sensible people have joined so quickly!

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
AlgisKuliukas

Postby Not RP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:29 pm

AlgisKuliukas wrote:
Recursive Prophet wrote:

Well she wasn't that elderly when she got into it and she's very well qualified. Far better qualified than a certain "guy" we know.

Welcome to the forum RP. Good to see so many sensible people have joined so quickly!

Algis

*facepalm*
Add sarcasm to the list of things Algis still doesn't understand.
Not RP

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Recursive Prophet wrote:
AlgisKuliukas wrote:
Recursive Prophet wrote:

Algis

*facepalm*

Something tells me this isn't the "Recursive Prophet" I thought I knew.

Algis
AlgisKuliukas

Postby SugarWampums » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 am

AlgisKuliukas wrote:
Recursive Prophet wrote:
AlgisKuliukas wrote:
Recursive Prophet wrote:

Algis

*facepalm*

Something tells me this isn't the "Recursive Prophet" I thought I knew.

Algis

You talk about these Waterside Hypothesis on another site? I think its so interesting but I don't know alot about it.
SugarWampums

Postby Recursive Prophet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:10 pm

As you know I've been a serious critic of WHHE. After giving it a lot of thought the last couple days it occurred to me that I haven't been very objective in my approach. All I've been doing is looking for ways to attack it. I allowed emotion to cloud my logic.

I'm not saying I've changed my mind. I still think there are more reasonable explanations for bipedalism and an hair loss, but the hypothesis is probably not nearly as far flung as I have been asserting over the last couple years. I think partly I was just trying to ingratiate myself with the other Dags. Looking back lately I'm ashamed of my behavior. I will try and be more objective here in expressing my areas of disagreement, and apologize for the way I've been acting for the last few years.
Recursive Prophet

Postby BanmeNow » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:15 pm

eversbane wrote:As you know I've been a serious critic of WHHE. After giving it a lot of thought the last couple days it occurred to me that I haven't been very objective in my approach. All I've been doing is looking for ways to attack it. I allowed emotion to cloud my logic.

I'm not saying I've changed my mind. I still think there are more reasonable explanations for bipedalism and an hair loss, but the hypothesis is probably not nearly as far flung as I have been asserting over the last couple years. I think partly I was just trying to ingratiate myself with the other Dags. Looking back lately I'm ashamed of my behavior. I will try and be more objective here in expressing my areas of disagreement, and apologize for the way I've been acting for the last few years.

Since you say that you have been critical of the hypotheses for some time now, can you point out any particular failings of the hypotheses, or has all of that time and effort just been a huge waste of time?
BanmeNow

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm

eversbane wrote:As you know I've been a serious critic of WHHE. After giving it a lot of thought the last couple days it occurred to me that I haven't been very objective in my approach. All I've been doing is looking for ways to attack it. I allowed emotion to cloud my logic.

Honestly, welcome eversbane. (if this really is you - hard to tell!)

I really appreciate this opening statement and I promise to reciprocate. I gladly accept the apology. Let's please just move on and forget all about all that. :)

I don't think you realise how close I came to dropping the idea a few months ago. The "Cooper" evidence was (and still is) pretty devastating to me. So, I'm not saying I changed my mind either but I came pretty close.

I look forward to reading your criticisms of these ideas.

Algis
AlgisKuliukas

Next

Return to Other Media