Morris and Attenborough on a human aquatic ancestry

Use this section to review web sites, film documentaries, radio programs, podcasts etc.

Morris and Attenborough on a human aquatic ancestry

Postby CEngelbrecht » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:17 am

I don't know if Morris and Attenborough directly supports the idea of something wet in human evolution, but here is a couple of videos of their comment to the idea.

Desmond Morris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRYtPQfyCk

David Attenborough (from 'Life of Mammals' series, I think):
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6288724SdYwPZTP
User avatar
CEngelbrecht
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:10 pm
Location: Scania, Sweden

Re: Morris and Attenborough on a human aquatic ancestry

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Nice videos, Chris, thanks. I think I watched the Morris doco way back in 1995.

It was Desmond Morris who probably first described the idea as the "aquatic ape".

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
User avatar
AlgisKuliukas
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Morris and Attenborough on a human aquatic ancestry

Postby Colin Hendrie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 pm

That was me that posted this video up Algis - it's on the channel I use for teaching - what I particularly like about it is that it's Desmond Morris doing the explaining - and he was the one of course that got Elaine Morgan angry enough to have to write a book to challenge his male centered views - some of his logic in the Naked Ape is exquisite - why have women got breasts? because they look like buttocks - why have women got relatively large buttocks? because men like them

I can see why she nearly blew a gasket - especially in the late 60s/early 70s when feminism was necessarily very much more militant than it is today.
Colin Hendrie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Morris and Attenborough on a human aquatic ancestry

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Colin Hendrie wrote:That was me that posted this video up Algis - it's on the channel I use for teaching -



Sorry, Colin.

Colin Hendrie wrote:
what I particularly like about it is that it's Desmond Morris doing the explaining - and he was the one of course that got Elaine Morgan angry enough to have to write a book to challenge his male centered views - some of his logic in the Naked Ape is exquisite - why have women got breasts? because they look like buttocks - why have women got relatively large buttocks? because men like them



Yes, it's brilliant, isn't it!?

Colin Hendrie wrote:
I can see why she nearly blew a gasket - especially in the late 60s/early 70s when feminism was necessarily very much more militant than it is today.


Absolutely!

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
User avatar
AlgisKuliukas
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm


Return to Other Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron