Hi

Introduce yourself to everyone. Remain anonymous if you insist but why not be a little more open and tell us who you really are?

Hi

Postby Colin Hendrie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:39 am

Hi

I'm Colin Hendrie - I teach at Leeds University in the North of England and have followed the aquatic theory from the very first.

My claim to fame in this context is that I spoken with Elaine Morgan on the phone but we never met - the research talk I invited her to give had to be cancelled because of a lecturer's strike!

I have also followed the anti argument over the years and watched it get more and more entrenched - to the point where it's just reactionary now and people don't seem to want to accept it because Elaine wasn't a trained scientist, as if that mattered in this context. I've been working on my own version of what put us into the aquatic phase and what took us out of it again but need to put one or two more thoughts together before I discuss it in public.

I also met Algis at the Aquatic Ape conference in London last year and I use the picture I took of the 'it's not rocket science' slide used in his talk in my lectures to my undergrads

In that context, I hope I'm not being too cheeky by asking two favours on my first visited but here's goes anyway - (i) can I please get a copy of the original slide since the photo I took isn't very good and (ii) has anyone got a copy of Erica Kemp's paper 'Patterns of Water Use in Primates' in Folia Primatol they can let me have? My university doesn't have a subscription, all the of the other usual sources have come up blank and the email address given on the paper bounces

Thanks in advance and looking forward to reading and discussing more on the site

Best

Colin
Colin Hendrie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Hi

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 am

Colin Hendrie wrote:Hi

I'm Colin Hendrie - I teach at Leeds University in the North of England and have followed the aquatic theory from the very first.

My claim to fame in this context is that I spoken with Elaine Morgan on the phone but we never met - the research talk I invited her to give had to be cancelled because of a lecturer's strike!



What a pity!

Colin Hendrie wrote:
I have also followed the anti argument over the years and watched it get more and more entrenched - to the point where it's just reactionary now and people don't seem to want to accept it because Elaine wasn't a trained scientist, as if that mattered in this context. I've been working on my own version of what put us into the aquatic phase and what took us out of it again but need to put one or two more thoughts together before I discuss it in public.



Yes, more entrenched and, judging by Henry Gee's outburst last year, more ignorant.

I look forward to reading about your version.

Colin Hendrie wrote:
I also met Algis at the Aquatic Ape conference in London last year and I use the picture I took of the 'it's not rocket science' slide used in his talk in my lectures to my undergrads



I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember meeting you. If you could point me to a web page or something with a photo of you, I'm sure it would trigger my dull brain into remembering.

Thanks for the kind comment about the Wading Hypothesis image. I wore it the other day at a UWA meeting where somehow it has been decided that Lieberman's ER hypothesis is the best idea on bipedal origins! I'll post the image here once I remember how to do so.

Colin Hendrie wrote:
In that context, I hope I'm not being too cheeky by asking two favours on my first visited but here's goes anyway - (i) can I please get a copy of the original slide since the photo I took isn't very good and (ii) has anyone got a copy of Erica Kemp's paper 'Patterns of Water Use in Primates' in Folia Primatol they can let me have? My university doesn't have a subscription, all the of the other usual sources have come up blank and the email address given on the paper bounces

Thanks in advance and looking forward to reading and discussing more on the site

Best

Colin


Don't know about the Kemp paper, but thanks for the heads up on that.

It would be great to debate your ideas here on this forum. It's been a huge disappointment to me that since setting it up very few have shown any interest.

All the best

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
User avatar
AlgisKuliukas
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Hi

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 am

Image
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
User avatar
AlgisKuliukas
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Hi

Postby Colin Hendrie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi

Thanks for the image - much better than the grainy photo I'm currently using

We only spoke for a few minutes so I wouldn't expect you to remember one conversation over a busy few days -this is me though just in case your memory does get jogged ( https://leeds.academia.edu/ColinHendrie)

Can only raise my eyebrows re the ER hypothesis - running is a good use for bipedal locomotion but cannot be the reason for developing it

The intermediate steps are of course crucial and unless an explanation can account for the difficulties in locomoting when not fully bipedal the whole explanation - literally - falls down

The waterside hypothesis of course does that but I'm not quite satisfied with the full breadth of the story - particularly the why and the where which are the bits I'm working on

I wouldn't worry about the message board not being too active - there are discussions going on all over the web - the one Marc Verhaegen has contributed to on Researchgate is interesting for a variety of reasons (https://www.researchgate.net/post/Why_A ... 3128b45fe_) and I'll definitely be sending some students this way during the course of my lectures since you've put together some excellent resources

Will look forward to speaking with you some more

Best

Colin
Colin Hendrie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Hi

Postby AlgisKuliukas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Colin Hendrie wrote:Hi

Thanks for the image - much better than the grainy photo I'm currently using



It's still pretty bad though !! :-)

Colin Hendrie wrote:
We only spoke for a few minutes so I wouldn't expect you to remember one conversation over a busy few days -this is me though just in case your memory does get jogged ( https://leeds.academia.edu/ColinHendrie)



I do have some inkling of a memory now, thanks!

Colin Hendrie wrote:
Can only raise my eyebrows re the ER hypothesis - running is a good use for bipedal locomotion but cannot be the reason for developing it



It's a typical teleological idea. No doubt humans are good at ER - better than chimps, and I suspect that our ancestors did more ER running than chimp ancestors did, even to the point that there may have been some selection for it. But like you say, it couldn't have been the driver of bipedal *origins*.

Colin Hendrie wrote:
The intermediate steps are of course crucial and unless an explanation can account for the difficulties in locomoting when not fully bipedal the whole explanation - literally - falls down

The waterside hypothesis of course does that but I'm not quite satisfied with the full breadth of the story - particularly the why and the where which are the bits I'm working on



I look forward to reading your critique.

Colin Hendrie wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the message board not being too active - there are discussions going on all over the web - the one Marc Verhaegen has contributed to on Researchgate is interesting for a variety of reasons (https://www.researchgate.net/post/Why_A ... 3128b45fe_) and I'll definitely be sending some students this way during the course of my lectures since you've put together some excellent resources

Will look forward to speaking with you some more

Best

Colin


Thanks, Colin.

Algis
Waterside hypotheses of human evolution assert that selection from wading, swimming and diving and procurement of food from aquatic habitats have significantly affected the evolution of the lineage leading to Homo sapiens as distinct from that leading to Pan. (p118)
Kuliukas, A., Morgan, E. (2011). Aquatic scenarios in the thinking on human evolution: What are they and how do they compare?. In: Vaneechoutte, M., Verhaegen, M., Kuliukas, A. (2011). Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?
User avatar
AlgisKuliukas
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Бесплатные секс и порно фото галереи

Postby eleanorgn60 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Порно фото. Безмездно рассматривать секс порно фотографии
http://siski.moskva.sexblog.pw/?post.destinee
Порно фото бесплатно, эротические секс фото галереи
eleanorgn60
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Порно фото - глазеть онлайн безмездно

Postby eleanorgn60 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Бесплатные порно и секс фото галереи
http://popki.sexblog.top/?page-jocelyn
Эротические фото с голыми женщинами и девушками
eleanorgn60
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm


Return to Greetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron